Both of these things will affect the lives of countless people and are closely related to Xiao Huas actions. At such a time, it is most suitable for the president of the sports league to show real leadership.
So why does the NBA lose its voice?
A short crisis timeline:
March 6 - coronavirus news is all over the place, and other topics dont matter. Some places and institutions have stopped large gatherings, but we attended MITs Sloan sports summit. Its amazing that everyone in the audience is talking about coronavirus, but the guests on the stage are silent about it.
Xiao Hua didnt participate, but Evan Walsh, senior vice president of the NBA, was present and chatted about NBA schedule reform. After the discussion, I went to Evan and asked him if the League had any plans to adjust the schedule for the epidemic. He just got stuck. A publicist came to the rescue and told me to ask people in New York headquarters, but I knew that there would be no useful information at all. Anyway, the NBA is not going to comment on the outbreak.
To this day, no one has replied to my email. A few hours after I emailed, the world knew that Gerber had been diagnosed and the NBA was suspended. But the NBA didnt answer any embarrassing questions that night.
April 17 - Xiao Hua spoke to the media for 22 minutes on the day, saying, the key is data, not date.
May 25 - George Freud is killed on his knees by police. He was one of Stephen Jacksons best friends, and dozens of NBA players took part in the protest. But nearly a week after the protest began, Xiao Hua still didnt make a personal statement in support of the protest (in Facebook, there were many cases in which the boss didnt declare that the employees had resigned).
Once upon a time, Xiao Hua regarded improving ethnic relations as an important issue in his tenure. When he ousted Donald sterling, he said, I am personally saddened that sterlings views come from a historical system that has always dominated race relations and have led NBA players, coaches, fans and partners, both active and retired, to question their relationship with the league.
At that time, Lee Jenkins of Sports Illustrated interviewed Xiao Huas law school classmate Michael arter, who was one of the directors of WNBA Chicago sky team. He said: he tends to stay away from business level things. He believes in the great power of justice and equality, which is the way he can influence.
June 1 - a memo issued by Xiao Hua about the pain points in American racial history was exposed by the media. It says, as an enterprise, we should try our best to make meaningful changes. Mr Xiao himself has yet to comment publicly.
It seems that this has become his model. The first case of coronavirus positive led to the suspension of the league, which had a great impact on the change of response policy of the whole United States - and then the whole country began to flatten the curve with home-based order. Without Xiao Huas decision, no one can predict whether the NBA game will become another super gathering epidemic.
In that media conference call, he received a round of praise and announced that the decision to restart the season was related to data rather than date.
On Friday, a few hours after Sharms revealed the date of the rematch, I asked the NBA 20 more questions about the data. During the pandemic, it was reopened to allow thousands of people to work indoors with multiple contacts, close distances and heavy breathing. Among them, the rich in their 20s enjoy the best medical conditions in the world. But there are also coaches in their 60s and Disney caterers. Some have a complex history.
Many are still black. In general, black Americans make up 13 percent of the population in all parts of the country, but covid-19 accounts for 25 percent of deaths, a recent report from the APM research laboratory said
1. A successful case to curb the spread of the virus is the response of the pornographic industry to the AIDS epidemic in that year. Basically, a large number of tests should be carried out. As long as one person is positive, the whole industry should stop to track and control contacts. Its part of a plan that other sports leagues have teamed up with epidemiologists and scientists. Will the NBA do that? What is the evidence or scientific basis for their decision?
In the middle of April, Xiao Hua outlined four restart data points. He said the key to restart is data, not date. How is it doing now? What data can support restart? He was concerned about four criteria (new cases, kit supply, antiviral drugs and vaccine access). Have these standards changed?
3. How does the alliance inform susceptible groups? Should they work? How does NBA define susceptible groups? Is the person that suffers from sickle cell disease counted?
4. Can players visit other places of Disney?
5. Will the League hold competitions outdoors to reduce the risk of communication? Why?
6. Who needs to wear a mask? Coach or player on the bench? Do you have to wear them for the game? What about photographers, bus drivers and others?
7. How many N95 masks does the NBA have? Who can wear it?
8. What if someone coughs on the court?
9. How does the alliance determine the detection frequency? Which test method will be used? Is it fast (less sensitive) or 24 hours?
10. If someone needs to receive coronavirus treatment at that time, where will they get it? What if they need to be hospitalized or in ICU? Which hospital will they go to?
12. What isolation rules are needed to enter the whole isolation point?
13. Other leagues have said that a surge in local cases could trigger a suspension. Has the NBA considered such a rule? What is the standard? There has been a surge in diagnoses in Florida recently
July is a typhoon in Florida. What if evacuation is needed?
15. If there are employees who dont want to participate in the rematch, what should they do with their income, benefits and insurance? What if they dont want to participate because their health is at high risk? Is Ada applicable in this situation? What if they dont want to participate because their families are at risk? What if you cant participate because of mental illness?
16. Will employees be required to sign waivers? What will it say? Is this waiver the same as players, coaches and other employees, or will it be different?
17. What is the acceptability of the league or team to the risk of infection of employees after the replay?
18. Will thousands of people fly to Orlando for the semi-finals increase the risk of local coronavirus transmission?
20. Can our media interview NBA medical experts?
In contrast, Erica van stone, the head of the womens flat track Derby Association, is very happy to share the strict measures of the leagues staged restart, which is amazing and encouraging.
My guess is: the NBAs calculation is that its worth everything to get Trumps support. Xiao Hua is close to Jared Kushner, Trumps son-in-law. Many of Xiao Huas service owners - Mickey Allison, Tillman fertitita, Josh Harris, James Doran, Anthony lessler - are all familiar with the situation. Their own business and wealth are also greatly affected by the epidemic.
The DeVos family became the host in the essence of the rematch. They had family members in Trumps cabinet, and their support for the right-wing cause of the United States (leading to the current situation in the United States) was also a historical tradition.
Science is speechless in the face of power.
David Stern has his flaws, but its hard to imagine that in the face of todays situation, he will remain silent or listen to trumps suggestions. Maybe he spoiled us, the media and the fans. Maybe he said too much before. One of the advantages of Sterns big mouth is that we dont need to imagine the meaning of his silence.
But now, we have to imagine. 3500 people will soon live in Disneyland, Florida, in the isolation bubble designed by Xiao Huas staff. Will restarting the NBA lead to more infections? Do they really take science seriously? When players say they trust the NBA, do they really trust it?
Geneticists found that the main source of infection in the West Coast virus hot spots, such as Texas, Louisiana and Arizona, was New Yorkers flying around. The headquarters of NBA is in New York.
The NBA doesnt disclose its plans, and theres no answer to any of these questions. Maybe the rematch will be wonderful. But all we know now is that its all behind the scenes. The alliance is communicating with many people, but there is no public.
One source told me that in the early days of the pandemic, an NBA director said he wanted to restart immediately, no matter how expensive. There are many similar comments, saying that we hope the alliance will open as soon as possible, which is different from saying that we hope our employees can return to work safely as soon as possible. Xiao Hua said that data is more important than date, citing what Disney CEO Bob egger said on the NBA board in mid April. On Wednesday, an article in the New York Times called Aigle and Xiao Hua good friends and restart is a win-win result. But the article does not address any health issues. Now, the alliance restart time coincides with Disneys reopening. Xiao Hua works for billionaire owners of 30 teams. How do we know if he will put his business ahead of his health? How dare he confirm the date without data? Read the players Unions full vote, pass the rematch plan, players accept the new crown test every night, Durant confirms whether Irwin will return this season. Its still uncertain whether European fans draw Kobe Bryants giant mural, which is 12 meters high, and set a new European record. This source: Netease Sports author: Kewell, editor in charge: Yang Jiankun_ NS4215
One source told me that in the early days of the pandemic, an NBA director said he wanted to restart immediately, no matter how expensive. There are many similar comments, saying that we hope the alliance will open as soon as possible, which is different from saying that we hope our employees can return to work safely as soon as possible.
Xiao Hua said that data is more important than date, citing what Disney CEO Bob egger said on the NBA board in mid April. On Wednesday, an article in the New York Times called Aigle and Xiao Hua good friends and restart is a win-win result. But the article does not address any health issues. Now, the alliance restart time coincides with Disneys reopening.
Xiao Hua works for billionaire owners of 30 teams. How do we know if he will put his business ahead of his health?