Afghanistans internal dialogue has dragged on, and the United States has said it will reset its timetable

category:Military
 Afghanistans internal dialogue has dragged on, and the United States has said it will reset its timetable


U.S. government special representative for Afghan reconciliation affairs Zalmay Khalilzad said on May 15 that the internal dialogue in Afghanistan has been delayed and failed to start on the date previously agreed, and the parties are discussing a new start date.

According to the peace agreement signed by the United States and the Afghan Taliban in Doha, the capital of Qatar, on February 29, Afghanistans internal dialogue should have started on March 10, so that the Taliban and representatives of all Afghan parties could discuss the realization of a permanent comprehensive ceasefire and the future political route of Afghanistan.

On February 23 local time, on the South Lawn of the White House, US President trump said before leaving for India that the US military has been in Afghanistan for 19 years, we hope to reach a peace agreement. The Taliban want a peace deal, too. Theyre tired of fighting. Photo by Chen Meng, reporter of China News Agency

However, the Afghan government and the Taliban have been at loggerheads over details such as the number of prisoners released, and internal dialogue has not yet begun. Khalilzad told reporters in Washington, D.C., on the 15th that he would return to Afghanistan in the near future, hoping to promote the reduction of violence, accelerate the release of prisoners, and promote the start of internal dialogue in Afghanistan as soon as possible.

According to the agreement signed by the United States and the Taliban, the U.S. military in Afghanistan will withdraw in stages, and the U.S. side promised to reduce the size of the U.S. military in Afghanistan to 8600 by mid July. Khalilzad believes that Afghan parties should not delay any more, and it is better to open internal dialogue before the substantial withdrawal of US troops in Afghanistan.

The U.S. Defense Department said Friday that the U.S. side will continue to withdraw from Afghanistan in stages in accordance with the agreement with the Taliban, and is expected to complete the withdrawal within the agreed timetable..

There have been frequent violent attacks in Afghanistan recently. A maternity hospital in Kabul and a funeral site in Nangarhar province were attacked on the 12th, including two newborns. A total of 61 people were killed in the two attacks, including four attackers.

Khalilzad said the U.S. side assessed that both attacks were carried out by the branch of the extremist group Islamic state in Afghanistan. Some forces, including the Islamic state, are not willing to see peace in Afghanistan and are trying to increase violence to undermine the prospects for peace, the US side called on the Afghan government and the Taliban not to fall into the trap, but to cooperate against terrorist organizations..

However, the Afghan government blamed the two attacks on the Taliban, believing that the Taliban worked with other armed groups to create an atmosphere of rising terrorism and impede the peace process. The Afghan government announced Wednesday that the security forces will turn defense into attack and resume military operations against the Taliban, Islamic state and other extremist organizations. (Yang Shuyi) (special draft of Xinhua News Agency)

(function(){( window.slotbydup=window .slotbydup||[]).push({id:u5811557,container:ssp_ 5811557, async:true });}) (); source of this paper: Xinhuanet editor in charge: Yao Wenguang_ NN1682