The work intensity of the infected nurses returning to the front line after 17 days of discharge is a bit unbearable

 The work intensity of the infected nurses returning to the front line after 17 days of discharge is a bit unbearable

In the CCTV interview video, Zhang Changsheng made a OK gesture. Picture provided by interviewee

In February 23rd, Zhang Changsheng novel coronavirus pneumonia was diagnosed on the thirty-sixth day, and also the seventeenth day after he was cured and discharged. He returned to the first line and completed the most awkward two cases of PICC catheterization.

Two patients with severe cerebral hemorrhage needed catheterization. Armed Zhang Changsheng, standing on the side of the hospital bed, manipulated the B-ultrasonic probe with one hand and the puncture needle with the other hand, and moved up and down 10 cm above the elbow of the patient. Several times, he stooped to get up. His protective clothing and isolation clothing made a piercing sound. His clothes were wet with sweat. The best puncture point was finally found.

Zhang Changsheng, 32, is a male nurse in the neurosurgery intensive care unit (ICU) of Wuhan Union Medical College Hospital. He is also one of the 14 infected medical staff in the case of human to human transmission disclosed by academician Zhong Nanshan in an interview with CCTV on January 20.

During the treatment, Zhang Changsheng became hot because of the CCTV live interview video. In the video, through the small window of the isolation ward, he made a OK gesture and shouted, come on, it must be OK.. He was called OK brother by netizens.

After healing, he returned to the first line. He completed two cases of catheterization and tried to find the working state. Although the airtight protective measures and work intensity make him a little unbearable for the time being, he believes that the best encouragement is to put on protective clothing and return to the medical staff.

ICU nurses recruited by zhongzhao

Zhang Changsheng experienced four days from symptoms to diagnosis.

On January 16, when Zhang Changsheng went to work, he felt like he had a cold. The next day he began to get hot, with a maximum temperature of 38.5 u2103. Lung CT and blood routine examination showed that the lung texture was thickened, and others were normal. At that time, there was a case of unidentified pneumonia, and he was lucky enough to treat it as a cold. If you dont burn, you should be OK. You should not go to the worst direction.

He took antipyretics, drank a lot of water, his temperature slowly dropped, so he went to the night shift.

His temperature rose again during the night shift. On that day, the hospital organized nucleic acid testing and met colleagues who were also suffering from fever. They also joked with each other, do you also have fever?

On the afternoon of January 19, he received a confirmation call from the nursing department of the hospital. In his mind, he was clunking and blindfolded for a few seconds. I didnt expect to be hit. In his opinion, in addition to fever and fatigue, he had no other symptoms of discomfort and was in a good mental state.

Novel coronavirus pneumonia was a terrible fear in his mobile phone. He could not tell when he was infected with the new crown pneumonia and whether he had transmitted to his family.

My wife is also a nurse of Wuhan Union Medical College Hospital. She is working at this time. He said quietly on the phone that the test was positive and needed to be hospitalized for some time. He reminded his wife that as a close contact, she needed to be isolated at home for a period of time. She was not too worried. We were optimistic. At that time, we all felt that the situation should be OK..

Zhang Changsheng has not been able to confirm whether he was accidentally recruited when nursing patients or was infected when contacting with other medical staff in the Department.

In January 20th, novel coronavirus pneumonia was transmitted by people who were infected with 14 medical staff, and must be vigilant, Zhong Nanshan disclosed in CCTV interview. After that, Zhou Xianwang, mayor of Wuhan, confirmed that the cross infection in Wuhan Union Medical College Hospital was a patient of brain neurosurgery, who had infected 1 doctor and 13 nurses. In media reports, the patient is known as a super communicator..

Zhang Changsheng also confirmed that there were more than 10 neurosurgery nurses among the 14 people who were diagnosed with infection, and several other medical staff in other departments of the hospital.

But whether they are all infected by the super communicator is unclear.

Zhang Changsheng said that during this period, the protective measures of the medical staff in the five wards of Neurosurgery, including the ICU ward, were the same as usual and did not attract special attention. When entering the ward, he needs to wash his hands and put on disposable surgical masks, hats and gloves. He is one of the two specialized nurses of PICC catheterization in neurosurgery. One day a week, he will specially do PICC catheterization for patients and put on isolation clothes during operation.

Another infected nurse, Li Xin (pseudonym), remembered that around January 15, she and many colleagues had fever, cough, fatigue and other symptoms. The department leaders asked everyone to wear N95 masks, but because of the shortage of materials, each medical staff only had one N95 mask every day, which was used when entering the ward.

It was not until January 18 that more than a dozen doctors and nurses with symptoms were tested for nucleic acid, and it was found that at least 14 doctors and nurses had been recruited.

OK brother against virus

When he was just in hospital, Zhang Changsheng had almost no uncomfortable symptoms. In the morning, he would go for a walk in the outer corridor, and colleagues in other wards would come out for a walk. The sunlight came in through the window of the outer corridor. He couldnt help jumping for a few times. He thought that he loved sports and had good physical fitness. He would be discharged soon.

On the morning of January 23, he woke up in a shudder and felt that he couldnt breathe. He was sweating all over and his mouth was salivating uncontrollably.. He reached for the oxygen port beside the sick bed, pulled it under his nose and took a few breaths, which made him slow down.

He has a low fever. After taking the antipyretic medicine, I felt tired all over. I lay down on the bed and fell asleep, woke up again and again, touched my forehead and body, full of cold sweat. Every time he woke up, he took his temperature, which kept a low temperature of about 37.5 u2103.

He dried his forehead and leaned on his bed to make a video call to his family. His wife still asked in the first sentence, how do you feel? He replied, everything is fine.. When his parents and daughter saw that he was also smiling, they learned that their daughter had stayed at home and had never been out of the house once. He put down his mind and said, everyone in the family is very good, and I have no problem with my own suffering..

The low fever lasted for two days, and he lay in bed almost all day. Occasionally he would feel a slight pain in his lungs and start coughing. CT examination of the lung showed that the right lung appeared patchy fuzzy shadow, which was the first time Zhang Changsheng felt his body was fighting against the virus, just like fighting, the virus was temporarily in the upper hand.

On January 25, Zhang Changshengs fever subsided and other symptoms were improving. He began to take a walk in the outer corridor again. In the CCTV interview video, through the small window of the isolation ward, he made a OK gesture and shouted, come on, it will be OK! This is what he repeatedly said to himself and his colleagues in the serious days.

After the video broadcast, Zhang Changsheng was called OK brother by netizens. Novel coronavirus pneumonia has been launched online, and the message and private letters have been popping up on the social platform. Most of them are encouraging messages for him, and there are many new patients who come from new crowns with pneumonia. He will reply one by one.

When a patient asks him for help in treatment, he will seriously suggest that he must listen to the doctors and nurses advice. They are the people who know your condition best. When a patient with suspected or mild illness communicates with him, he will write down his reaction to the medicine in detail, and list the improvement and side effects one by one. Also, some netizens cant be hospitalized because of the tense bed, and they are helpless with words, so he has no way, They can only get in touch with the community.

Sometimes, he will receive feedback from netizens. He is better and happy when he lives in the upper house. Without feedback, he was afraid to ask, afraid of getting bad news.

He wants to wait until he is cured and discharged from the hospital and tell everyone more persuasively, keep a good attitude and listen to the doctors good treatment. The treatment rate is still very high..

Life and death friends in happy 3 + 2 group

During the treatment, Zhang Changsheng, Li Xin and three other colleagues infected in the ICU ward of Neurosurgery established a wechat group, named happy 3 + 2, to communicate the treatment progress in the group.

He is usually very warm-hearted. Everyone likes to ask him for help in anything. Li Xin said that when they were working in ICU, five of them knew each other and often discussed the focus of patient care together. Now, five of them have changed into patients and live in two wards apart, encouraging each other.

Li Xin, a nurse in the same ward, was seriously ill. Because of shortness of breath and low oxygen saturation, she had to lie in the hospital bed for oxygen therapy. Zhang Changsheng passed her ward when he went for a walk on the veranda. He would cheer them up through the window. For two days when he couldnt get out of bed, he shared his illness changes in the group and encouraged them.

When the doctor rounds the room every day, he will tell him to eat more, drink more, sleep more and walk around properly. In order to ensure the nutritional intake, the colleagues of the Department send them chicken soup every day.

Zhang Changsheng is the second from the bottom out of 14. On January 28, three of the first 14 medical staff were discharged from the hospital. On February 2 and February 5, two groups of medical staff were also discharged from the hospital. The other four nurses in the happy 3 + 2 group were among them.

On February 5, Zhang Changsheng stood in the sunshine on the side of the outer corridor and congratulated the five colleagues who were discharged from the hospital. They returned to him, its OK. Youre discharged in two days. Youre very well.. He nodded, Im sure Ill keep up.. His discomfort disappeared. He was waiting for the result of the second nucleic acid test. If the result was negative, he would be discharged the next day.

On February 6, the drizzle drenched the streets of Wuhan. Zhang Changsheng left the hospital wearing the black down jacket when he was in hospital, carrying the inspection data bag and the plastic bag containing the changing articles. The hospital car arrived at the gate of the community. He ran all the way to the door. His wife came to open the door wearing a mask. They looked at each other for a few seconds at a short distance without hugging. His wife said, Im back..

Four colleagues in the happy 3 + 2 group congratulated him on leaving the hospital online. They recalled their feelings when they were diagnosed. They wanted to cry for a few days, but they were fragile. up to now, five people have called each other friends of life and death, if you dont die, you will be blessed..

4 hours back to the front line

From the first day of discharge, Zhang Changsheng began to prepare for his return to the front line.

He needs to be isolated and observed for two weeks. The time difference between his daily life and his time in the ward is not big. He eats, drinks and rests more. He walks around the room, jumps from time to time, makes plate support and swings badminton racket.

In February 7th, mobile phone novel coronavirus pneumonia Li Wenliangs death, Zhang Changsheng stared at the screen, this is the most sad moment he has ever had since he had been infected with the new crown pneumonia. The novel coronavirus pneumonia died in a news report, he realized that the disease has such a terrible side, do not want to be immersed in sad mood, so the TV Documentary Channel has been put on.

In the early morning of February 17, Li Xins 14 day isolation period ended. After reexamination, she met the conditions for blood donation, so she rushed to the blood donation center of Jinyintan hospital. Zhang Changsheng and three other nurses also went online to register and donate blood as soon as they arrived in the isolation period, in this way, they expressed their feelings slightly..

On February 20, Zhang Changsheng went back to the hospital for reexamination. The lung CT showed that the patchy fuzzy shadow had been absorbed and the blood routine was normal. The doctor suggested that the drug could be stopped. He asked the doctor if he could donate blood because he had a thyroid operation and was unable to do so.

He wanted to do something for the epidemic, so he submitted a return to work application to the head nurse of the Department. Many of his colleagues are supporting the infection ward and the shelter Hospital of Wuhan Union Medical College Hospital. He thinks that even if he cant go to the front line of anti epidemic, he can work in the emergency department of the hospital first to relieve everyones pressure. Many nurses havent had a rest from years ago to now, so there is a lot of pressure..

Li Xin also applied to go to the hospital office to provide logistical support for front-line medical staff.

At 7:30 a.m. on February 23, Zhang Changsheng received a call from the head nurse. Two patients with cerebral hemorrhage were transferred from the emergency department and needed PICC catheterization. There was still a little tension in his mind. After more than a month of treatment and isolation, he was worried that the operation would be unfamiliar.

Hospital emergency and isolation areas, armed medical staff are busy. Colleagues saw him and told him with a smile, OK, do a good job of protection.. He put on white protective clothing, N95 mask and goggles for the first time with the help of the safety officer. His colleagues wrote Zhang Changsheng on the back of his protective clothing.

Returning to the front line, colleagues wrote Zhang Changsheng on his protective clothing. Picture provided by interviewee

When he walked into the ward, his colleagues called out to him, here, help.. He helped to adjust to his work in the ward. He has recovered some working conditions, but the airtight protective clothing and masks have made him feel a little stuffy.

During catheterization, he had to stoop several times to get up, find the optimal puncture point at the elbow of the patient, and then operate the catheterization when another nurse helped to hold the patient. It takes more than half an hour for the suit to come down. His clothes are already wet with sweat. The sweat drips down his forehead. Under the mask, he inhales and exhales quickly.

After two cases of catheterization, the tightness and work intensity of the protective measures made him a little unbearable. He felt lost, and his body had not yet recovered to the intensity of the work. It was very dull, a little bit out of breath..

I feel good about myself, but its still a little bit worse. He talked with his colleagues, and the four-hour return experience told him that his body was still recovering.

After a moments loss, he took off his equipment and drove home. There were sporadic vehicles and passers-by on the streets of Wuhan.

He renewed his daily exercise plan and added some exercises to increase vital capacity. He hoped to adjust his physical condition and return to the front line as soon as possible. In the circle of friends, he wrote that every winter will pass, looking forward to the warm spring flowers, I wish you all well.