From April 1, South Korean employees took unpaid leave

category:Military
 From April 1, South Korean employees took unpaid leave


Data map

According to a statement issued by the US military in South Korea, since the 2019 defense cost sharing agreement (the 11th special defense cost sharing agreement) has not yet been signed, the US military command in South Korea will allow the Korean employees in the base to take unpaid leave from April 1, 2020.

The statement also said that if South Korea fails to continue to commit to sharing the employment costs of its employees, the U.S. military command in South Korea will soon run out of funds needed to pay the salaries of its employees.

Robert Abrams, commander of the U.S. military in South Korea, spoke highly of Korean employees and their contributions to the ROK-U.S. alliance in the statement, but said that if a defense fee sharing agreement cannot be reached, he will have to continue to prepare for a temporary unpaid leave.

Since the first defense cost sharing agreement was signed by South Korea and the United States in 1991, 10 agreements have been signed so far. However, the 10th cost sharing agreement for U.S. forces stationed in South Korea expired on December 31 last year, and the 11th agreement has not been negotiated by the two sides so far.

On October 1 last year, the U.S. military in South Korea also issued a notice of temporary unpaid leave to the Korean employees Union at the base, according to the South Korean news agency. On January 29 this year, the U.S. military command in South Korea also announced that due to the pending negotiations on the sharing of defense costs between South Korea and the United States, Korean employees serving the U.S. military may take unpaid leave from April 1.

But the South Korean employees Union has previously said it is willing to continue to work even without pay after April 1 for national security reasons. However, this situation is prohibited by American law and is not expected to be put into practice.

Since the US President Donald Trump took office, he has pursued the foreign policy of giving priority to the interests of the United States. He has repeatedly asked South Korea, Japan and other allies to increase their share of the cost of US troops. The U.S. asked South Korea to share nearly $5 billion in expenses in 2020, more than five times that in 2019. South Korea refused to accept the high price.

(function() {(window. Slotbydup = window. Slotbydup| []). Push ({ID: u5811557, container: ssp_, async: true});}) (); source of this article: Global Times - global network responsible editor: Yao Wenguang