Negotiations cancelled, Taliban threat: More Americans will die

category:Military
 Negotiations cancelled, Taliban threat: More Americans will die


US President Donald Trump

After U.S. President Donald Trump cancelled secret talks with the Taliban at Camp David on September 8, the Taliban issued a statement saying that Trumps cancellation of peace talks in Afghanistan meant that more Americans would die.

Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid criticized Trump for cancelling talks in a statement, pointing out that while the peace talks were taking place, US forces were still attacking Afghanistan, Reuters reported on 8 August.

Zabihula said that the abrupt cancellation of the talks would lead to more losses for the United States, the credibility of the United States would be affected, its anti-peace stance would be exposed to the world, and more Americans would suffer losses in their lives and property.

Trump said on Twitter Tuesday that talks with the Taliban scheduled for 8 days had been cancelled because of the Taliban attack in Afghanistan, which resulted in the death of one American soldier and 11 other personnel.

Earlier, the United States and Taliban negotiators had reached a draft peace agreement. Nevertheless, the Talibans attacks on the Afghan government, the army and the U.S. military continued, causing some peoples doubts. As the violence escalated, Afghan leaders, including Afghan President Ashraf Ghani, increasingly criticized the agreement and demanded direct Taliban dialogue with the government.

Trumps invitation to the Taliban to Camp David for talks drew criticism from some Republicans. Republican and U.S. Congressman Liz Cheney said on Twitter Wednesday that Camp David is the place where U.S. leaders discuss countermeasures after Al Qaeda caused the September 11 incident. The Taliban support Al Qaeda, so no Taliban member should step on Camp David.

Source: Peng Mei News Responsible Editor: Li Zaixing_NBJS9026