Armed Aden ceasefire in southern Yemen is willing to dialogue with the government under Saudi mediation

category:Military
 Armed Aden ceasefire in southern Yemen is willing to dialogue with the government under Saudi mediation


Separatist forces in southern Yemen responded to Saudi Arabias request for a ceasefire in the southern port city of Aden on November 11.

The armed leader said on the evening of November 11 that he was ready to participate in a dialogue mediated by Saudi Arabia.

[Showing Posture

Adalus Zubaidi, chairman of Yemens Southern Transitional Council, delivered a televised speech on the same day, saying that the southern armed forces would participate in dialogue with the Yemeni government in Saudi Arabia with a fully open mentality, while continuing the ceasefire in Aden.

In a separate written statement, he said that the war in Aden was triggered by armed forces loyal to Yemeni President Abdullah Mansour Hadi, who tried to assassinate the leaders of the southern forces, and that the southern forces had to defend themselves or face liquidation.

The Southern Transitional Council, composed of tribal elders and local officials, broke out clashes with government forces in Aden on the 7th. Southern armed forces seized several military bases of the Yemeni government in Aden on the 10th, and then occupied the presidential palace. The Yemeni government has designated armed forces in the south to launch a coup.

The two sides have long accumulated grievances, but once joined forces to fight against the common enemy Hussein Army, which is an important ally of the multinational coalition forces in fighting against Hussein Army. However, the government and the southern armed forces did not shake hands and make peace. Southern forces tried to occupy Adens barracks and government institutions in January 2018, and the riots subsided a few weeks later.

The multinational coalition forces issued a statement on the 11th, saying that the same day in Aden to Yemens government faces a direct threat to launch a strike in a region, did not mention the specific location. Saudi News Agency reported that coalition air strikes on an armed facility in the south. Coalition forces called for the withdrawal of Southern armed forces from the occupied area, but Zubaidi did not promise to withdraw in his speech and statement on the 11th.

Several media sources reported on December 12 that there had been no new exchanges of fire between the coalition forces and the government forces since they attacked the southern armed forces by force on November 11.

[Civil War Agents

Zubaidi said that the southern armed forces found a large number of weapons and ammunition in the government military base, enough to fight Hussein armed forces without the support of the multinational coalition forces for at least 12 months, implying that the government forces were weak in fighting Hussein armed forces.

Hussein forces occupied the capital Sanaa and many areas in 2014, forcing President Hadi to take refuge in Saudi Arabia, and the Yemeni government moved to Aden in the same year. In March 2015, the multinational coalition launched Operation Decisive Storm to support Yemeni government forces in their fight against Hussein forces.

However, the United Arab Emirates, a member of the coalition forces, has long supplied arms to the separatist forces in the South and trained their armed personnel, thus being at odds with the Hadi government. Yemens government last week issued a statement demanding that the United Arab Emirates stop providing any economic and military support to the Southern Transitional Council.

Saudi King Salman bin Abdul-Aziz and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman met with Hadi in Mecca, Saudi Arabia, on November 11, Saudi news agency reported. Saudi Deputy Defense Minister Khalid Ben Salman said after the meeting that Saudi Arabia supports the legitimate government of Yemen.

Several media reported that Yemens civil war has become a proxy war. The International Crisis Research Organization warned on November 11 that the war in Aden should be vigilant against expanding into a civil war in civil war.

United Nations data show that since 7 days, the fighting in Aden has resulted in about 40 deaths and 260 injuries.

Aden resident Adil Mohammed told Reuters on the 12th: Now (the situation) is calm, but people are still worried. We dont know how things will go. (Zheng Haoning) (Special Release of Xinhua News Agency)

Source: Xinhua responsible editor: Li Zaixing_NBJS9026