After the Lichma disaster relief, the residents of Zhejiang Linhai with serious flooding bought stormboats

 After the Lichma disaster relief, the residents of Zhejiang Linhai with serious flooding bought stormboats

Typhoon Lichma made Linhai City, Zhejiang Province, almost a water city on August 10.

In the face of the disaster, in addition to police rescue, there are also 20 stormboats purchased by citizens to participate in the relief.

On the evening of August 11, Beijing News reporters saw that most sections of Linhai urban area had receded, but some sections still had serious water accumulation.

Taizhou City Gate lost, Linhai City was flooded

On August 10, the day of typhoon landing, Linhai Public Security Bureau issued a message through official micro-blog that the city gate of Taizhou City, located in Linhai, was lost, and reminded local residents to pay attention to safety. In June 2001, the city wall of Taizhou Prefecture was announced by the State Council as the fifth batch of national key cultural relics protection units.

The official website of Linhai Municipal Government shows that the city wall of Taizhou Municipal Government has a history of thousands of years, and has been expanded and repaired many times since the Eastern Jin Dynasty. The rulers of the Yuan Dynasty ordered the demolition of city walls around the country, which were spared because of the important function of the city walls of Taizhou Prefecture in preventing floods.

A video provided by residents of Linhai to reporters of the Beijing News shows that the roots of the city walls of Taizhou Prefecture were flooded and floods flowed into Linhai City from the city gates. Another video shows that the water level in the city reaches about one meter. The houses built of wood (bamboo) are immersed in water. The water flow is turbulent. The first floor of houses in serious areas is completely flooded, and the water level approaches the balcony of the second floor.

Local media in Linhai reported that the main reason for Taizhou City Gates failure was that the rainfall was too heavy, and the city gate was blocked and poured into the city. According to a number of videos released by local media in Linhai, at first there was no object to prevent the floods from pouring into the urban area. Later, iron sheets appeared in many gates of Taizhou Prefecture City to prevent the floods from pouring back, but soon the floods crossed the barrier.

From the satellite map, Linhai is low in the southwest and high in the northeast. The official website of Linhai Municipal Government shows that as early as the Eastern Jin Dynasty, the ancients built Taizhou City in the northeastern corner of Linhai for military defense and flood control.

After the typhoon, a coastal citizen was washing his potted plants with floodwater. Photographed by Wang Jianing, a journalist of the New Beijing News

I didnt expect this typhoon to be so severe.

At 13:00 p.m. on August 11, there were still signs of flooding in Linhai City.

Reporters from the Beijing News saw on the spot that almost every street in Linhai had silt deposits, washing machines and clothes washed out from residentshomes appeared in some sections, and flooded vehicles parked in some sections.

On a main road in Linhai City, a number of private cars and vans rolled over to the ground. Two insurance company workers are taking photos of one of the private cars to fix damage. Insurance company staff told Xinjing Daily that although typhoons occur in Linhai every year, no one expected the disaster: We work at least six times as much in these two days as usual, basically all the owners whose cars are flooded or have to be involved in water insurance.

Mr. Sun, a coastal citizen, said that he was 53 years old and had not seen a typhoon that caused serious disasters for at least 20 years.

On August 10, Mr. Sun got up early in the morning and saw it began to rain outside the window. What surprised him was that at noon on that day, water began to accumulate in the street next to his building: In previous years, when typhoon came, water also accumulated in the street, but this time in just two or three hours, water accumulated over the knees of adults.

We bought some vegetables and steamed bread in advance because of the typhoon reported in the TV news a few days ago, but from the afternoon of August 10th to the evening, the electricity and water were cut off in our house one after another. Mr. Sun said that because of the rising water, he and his wife were afraid to go out and had to wait for rescuers to transfer them.

On the afternoon of August 11, rescue workers were sending supplies to the trapped people by boat. Photographed by Wang Jianing, a journalist of the New Beijing News

Citizens Buy 20 Charge Boats to Cooperate with Police Rescue

On August 10, Beijing News reporters learned from the Linhai Public Security Bureau that in order to rescue the trapped people in the urban area, local micro-blogs and micro-messaging groups released information on the emergency requisition of citizensstormboats.

On the night of August 10, a reporter from the Beijing News noticed that a number of Taizhou citizens had forwarded a message from a circle of friends that a citizen had purchased 20 stormboats at his own expense to recruit stormboat drivers.

On August 11, a reporter from the Beijing News contacted the buyer of the stormboat, who is currently running a factory in Linhai. At about 18 oclock on August 10, he saw the video of the floods in Ziyang Gujie, Linhai City, in the circle of Weixin friends. At the same time, he saw the news of the governments official Weixin issuing the requisition of the stormboat, the release of the reservoir and the return of the Lingjiang River. He felt that something should be done for the local area.

So he contacted 110 command center to confirm the need for stormboats at the disaster relief site, negotiated prices with sellers online and paid 70,000 yuan to the sellers, so that employees of the company could help transport the stormboats to the disaster relief site. At the same time, let friends help send circles of friends to find drivers.

After seeing the news, more than 20 volunteers arrived at the rescue site, some from 40 kilometers or 50 kilometers away, relocating and resettling the trapped people in Linhai city overnight, and delivering mineral water, biscuits and other food to the residents who had not yet relocated.

Citizens seek help through micro-blogging and micro-letters

On August 10, a reporter from the Beijing News learned from the Linhai Public Security Bureau that after the disaster occurred in Linhai, the police rushed out to transfer the trapped citizens.

Several Taizhou residents told the Beijing News that the rescue telephone line was busy on the afternoon of August 10 and could not be dialed at all. Fortunately, the Public Security Bureau has also opened channels for seeking help on micro-blogs and micro-letters. One of the citizens said.

Beijing News reporters noted that many stranded residents left their trapped addresses and contact information for help under the Linhai Public Security Bureau, rescue teams and local media microblogs and Wechat public numbers. Within Wechats circle of friends, many local citizens saw the help and forwarded it so that rescuers could see it in time.

On August 11, Li You (a pseudonym) posted his address and telephone number online to seek help from rescue workers. According to Li Yous recollection, on the afternoon of the typhoon landing, she was chatting with her aunt, uncle and nine-year-old son at her aunts house: The first floor of the house is a shoe store opened by her aunt. When she saw the water level rising, she rushed downstairs and took the shoes upstairs. Soon after, the water level rose higher and higher. Soon, the water level rose close to the second floor.

Li You said that their house is in the ancient city street of Linhai City. The house is an old-fashioned wooden house with a low building. The first floor is between 2 meters and 3 meters from the ground. The electricity was cut off that afternoon, and Li You could not see anything after dark.

Li You told the Beijing News that they began to call the police at about 5 p.m. that day, while using four mobile phones to call, but they couldnt get in. They also dialed 119 and various rescue teams, but none of them answered or could get through. Li You asked his friends to send private letters to the micro-blog of Linhai Public Security Bureau, and also posted help-seeking information on the circle of friends and micro-blog. Soon the rescue team contacted them, and at about 23 oclock on the same day, they were connected to the stormboat and transferred to the collective resettlement site.

After sitting in the lifeboat, Li You found many trapped people waiting for rescue in the buildings along the street.

In Li Yous impression, typhoon in Linhai has seen no surprise, basically experienced two or three times a year, so when she received typhoon warning, she did not care: The impression of typhoon is windy and rainy, maybe water to the ankle, which is almost the same, but this year I do not know why suddenly did not cross the first floor of the top, to the second floor.

On the afternoon of August 11, there was still water in some sections of the road near the sea. A citizen went home after buying supplies on the street. Photographed by Wang Jianing, a journalist of the New Beijing News

Water in most sections of urban areas has receded

Ma Jie, head of the Dawn Rescue Team in Hangzhou Bay, told the Beijing News that about 15:00 on August 10, 30 rescue teams were divided into two echelons and took six boats to the coast.

Outside Linhai City, Songyi villagers turned to rescue teams for help. Flood inundated the village buildings, and some villagers were trapped in their homes, including many old people and children. The village democracy movement helped the rescue team carry the equipment, and then the village head and the village branch book took the rescue team door-to-door to rescue the trapped villagers, some of whom were still holding children in their arms. Eventually, 780 villagers in Songquan village were transferred safely.

Majie said that the water quality of the floods was poor. Some rescue workers were allergic to the skin of their hands and feet after soaking in water for one day.

On the evening of August 11, a reporter from the New Beijing News saw that relief workers were still pumping and draining water in Linhai City. The water in most sections of Linhai City had receded, but there were still some sections with serious water accumulation. Power and water supply units are also in the process of rush repairs, and hydropower in Linhai urban area is gradually recovering.

Enter Special Topics