Australian suspect Brenton Tarant (middle) suspected of killing 51 people. Visual Chinese Data Map
In March, suspects in the Christchurch mosque attack in New Zealand have pleaded not guilty to all charges. The 29-year-old Australian has been charged with 51 murders and 40 attempted murders in the mass shooting, and faces a terrorist charge.
According to British Broadcasting Television (BBC), during the terrorist attack in Christchurch, New Zealand, on March 15, Australian suspect Brenton Tarant, who was suspected of killing 51 people, appeared at the scene of the trial through video footage from the prison. His lawyer declared his plea of innocence in court.
The BBC reported that when lawyer Shane Tate read out the plea for innocence, Tarant was sitting quietly while the people present were breathing and tears in their eyes. According to CNN, Tarant can see his smile when he appears on the screen.
New Zealand High Court Judge Cameron Mand said the trial was scheduled for May 4 next year, before Tarant would be detained until a case review hearing on August 16.
At his last appearance in April, Tarant was asked to undergo a mental health assessment to determine whether he was suitable for trial. On 14 June, Judge Cameron Mand told the Court that there were no problems with Tarants psychological adaptability, which did not affect his request or trial.
Last week, restrictions on releasing photos of Suspectsfaces were reportedly lifted.
Under New Zealand law, murderers are sentenced to life imprisonment, and convicted murderers must spend at least 10 years in prison before they are eligible for parole. Terrorist acts can be sentenced to life imprisonment.
On March 15, two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, were shot, killing 51 people and injuring 50 others. New Zealand Prime Minister Aden called the incident a terrorist attack. The 28-year-old suspect, Brenton Tarant, was charged with murder.
Source of this article: Peng Mei News Responsible Editor: Chengyu_NBJ11143