Belgian officials disclosed on November 11 that the Belgian government is considering suspending arms exports to Saudi Arabia because of media reports that Saudi Arabia has used Belgian-made weapons in the Yemeni battlefield to harm civilians.
In an interview with French-speaking Radio and Television, Belgian Foreign Minister Didier Raindell said that if there was evidence that the Saudi army was using Belgian weapons to fight in Yemen and other places, it would be better to suspend arms sales to Saudi Arabia.
Raindell said the final decision would be made by the government of the Walloon region where the arms manufacturers are located. Valon officials said that if Saudi Arabia violated the original agreement with Belgium to use Belgian-made weapons on the battlefield, contracts that had been granted export permits could be suspended.
Belgiums Evening News quoted a survey report on the 8th that Saudi troops used weapons and military technology imported from Belgium to attack Yemens Hussein armed forces, killing civilians.
Saudi Arabia responded temporarily to the above reports.
European countries have different opinions on Saudi military intervention in Yemen. France did not call a halt to arms sales to Saudi Arabia, believing it was helping to fight terrorism. In November last year, Germany announced that it would no longer grant arms export licenses to Saudi Arabia, citing the murder of Saudi journalist Jamal Kashuji at the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul, Turkey, and the possibility that Saudi Arabia might use German weapons for military intervention in Yemen. The German government renewed the ban for six months at the end of March.
A European diplomat who did not want to be named told Agence France-Presse that the EU is scheduled to hold a meeting of foreign ministers on 13 to discuss arms sales to Saudi Arabia on the issue of Saudi support for the National Army under the military leader of Eastern Libya, Khalifa Haftar.
The National Army launched a Western offensive in early April, and so far has exchanged fire with the military forces of the United Nations-supported Government of National Unity in the outskirts of Tripoli, Libyas capital. (Wang Hongbin) [Xinhua News Agency microfeature
Source: Wang Xu_NBJS8023, Responsible Editor of Xinhua Newspaper Network