Overseas Network, April 16, according to China Consular Service Network news, recently, New York State student Zhang Mou asked the Consulate-General in New York for help, saying that because of trifles and classmates had a quarrel, the students around him felt abnormal and called the school psychiatrist. After a brief exchange between the school doctor and Zhang Mou, the school doctor called an ambulance to send them to the psychiatric hospital for examination.
Zhang later recalled that he was emotionally agitated and nervous during his quarrel with his classmates and communication with the school doctors. He was extremely disgusted with the school doctorsquestions of whether he wanted to retaliate against others and whether he had suicidal thoughts. He never expected that he would be sent to the mental hospital for examination. Finally, Zhang was discharged after 48 hours observation in the hospital with the permission of the doctor.
Source: Visual China
Recently, the Consulate General has received many cases of Chinese citizens being forced to send to psychiatric hospitals for treatment because of their own performance. Some of them need professional treatment after diagnosis, and get timely treatment after admission. Others are suspected of suffering from mental illness and sent to the doctor for examination because of uncontrolled emotions and fierce quarrels, improper words and deeds or misunderstandings of communication. In fact, the treatment of mental patients in the United States is very serious, and all States have legal provisions to provide relief for mental patients. Taking New York State as an example, the Mental Health Act explicitly authorizes relatives, co-residents, doctors, community service providers of suspected psychiatric patients to apply for admission to a psychiatric hospital when judging their condition. Those who meet the criteria can be admitted to the hospital by specialist doctors. During the period, police and ambulances can be transferred to the hospital at the request of the applicants. In emergencies, if it is reasonably suspected that a suspected psychiatric person may have a higher risk of suicide or injury to others, the relatives, hospitals or police of the party concerned may take compulsory measures to send the party to a psychiatric hospital without prior expert identification.
The Mental Health Act also requires specialists to assess the mental health of patients during a certain period of observation (New York State maximum 72 hours < weekend holidays excluding >) to determine whether they need to continue hospitalization, depending on the circumstances of medical service. That is to say, once a person is forced to be sent to a psychiatric hospital, he can not be discharged without the consent of a doctor during the stay period, even if he has no mental problems.
In daily life, American universities tend to be more cautious about studentsmental illness. School doctors assess that students may have mental disorders, and usually send them to a psychiatric hospital for treatment at the first time to ensure their personal safety. The studentsmental state, words and deeds were the important basis for the school doctors to make judgments at that time. Such threatening phrases as dont want to live, wait and see or go to the end together may be regarded as aggressive language signals, and casual speaking may face compulsory medical or other serious consequences.
Here, the Consulate General in New York solemnly reminds:
1. Keep calm in case of disputes and disputes. As the saying goes, Reason is not in high voice, loud quarrels or intense body movements not only can not solve the problem, but also may complicate the situation, resulting in the parties regret not originally.
2. Know the boundaries of a joke. Never joke with words that threaten other people or public safety, so as to avoid unnecessary troubles caused by careless mistakes.
3. If you are compulsorily sent to a doctor, you should keep calm. Actively communicate with the doctor, if there is language barrier, you can ask the other side to provide Chinese translation. Dont answer questions you dont understand at will. Dont sign documents you dont understand at will.
4. If you think that you have been unfairly treated in the process of compulsory medical treatment or treatment, you may pay attention to retaining relevant evidence and solve it through legal means afterwards.
5. Attention should be paid to mental health actively, and professional psychological consultants should be actively sought for help when encountering psychological problems. New York City residents can contact NYCWell 24-hour counseling hotline by calling (888) 692-9355, sending short messages from WELL to 65173 or accessing nyc.gov/nycwell to seek free counseling and guidance (with Chinese service). If Chinese citizens in the Eastern United States need consular assistance, they can call the Consular Protection and Assistance Telephone of the Consulate General in New York: +1-212-6953125. The Global Consular Protection and Services Emergency Call Center of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (24 hours): +86-10-12308 or+86-10-59913991. Source: Overseas Network Responsible Editor: Liu Yuxin_NBJS7825
5. Attention should be paid to mental health actively, and professional psychological consultants should be actively sought for help when encountering psychological problems. New York City residents can contact NYCWell 24-hour counseling hotline by calling (888) 692-9355, sending short messages from WELL to 65173 or accessing nyc.gov/nycwell to seek free counseling and guidance (with Chinese service).
If Chinese citizens in the Eastern United States need consular assistance, they can call the Consular Protection and Assistance Telephone of the Consulate General in New York: +1-212-6953125. The Global Consular Protection and Services Emergency Call Center of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (24 hours): +86-10-12308 or+86-10-59913991.