The war slowed down the evacuation of civilians from the Syria-East stronghold of the Islamic State

category:Military
 The war slowed down the evacuation of civilians from the Syria-East stronghold of the Islamic State


The Syrian Democratic Army slowed down its offensive on the 4th to allow civilians and some armed personnel to withdraw from the last stronghold of the extremist organization Islamic State in Syria.

Syrian Democratic Army spokesman Mustafa Bali said the same day that the armed forces to civilians and willing to surrender armed personnel to leave a channel, about 3,000 people have withdrawn from the eastern Syrian town of Baguz, including about 200 members of the Islamic State.

Reuters reporters witnessed a convoy heading for Baguz on the morning of the 4th. The Associated Press reports that more than 20 trucks were driven out of Baguez before sunset, carrying adults and children.

Baguz is close to the Iraqi border and is the last densely populated area controlled by the Islamic State in Syria. The Associated Press reported that the Syrian Democratic Army had previously thought that civilians had left the town.

Before the war, we thought there were 1,000 to 1,500 terrorists there, Barry said. Over the past three days, there have been casualties among terrorists. About 200 terrorists surrendered today. So we estimate there are about 1,000 terrorists and some civilians who cant escape.

Bali said that the Syrian Democratic Army slowed down its attack because of the Islamic State holding civilians as human shields.

Two other members of the Syrian Democratic Army gave different opinions on the number of evacuations. A spokeswoman said that from 3 to 4, more than 800 people, including armed personnel and their families, were evacuated from Baguez. Another member dealing with the media said that more than 1,000 people left Baguz on the 4th, including armed men.

The Syrian Democratic Army (SDA) is composed of several militia organizations, with Kurdish armed forces as the main force, and is supported by the United States-led multinational coalition against the Islamic State. The armed forces began attacking Baguz on February 9 and interrupted the fighting several times for fear of civilian safety.

Since February 20, more than 10,000 people have left Baguz by car, civilians have been sent to refugee camps and suspected members of the Islamic State have been sent to detention centers, AP reported.

The Syrian Democratic Army resumed its offensive on 1 March, with air support from the multinational coalition. Armed personnel of the Islamic State laid mines and fired artillery shells, blocked them by means of car bombs, suicide attacks and tunnel raids, and were believed to have used tunnels and caves to evade air strikes by the Multinational Alliance.

Syrian News and Television reported that the multinational coalitions air strike on Baguz on the morning of the 3rd killed many civilians and used an internationally banned white phosphorus bomb. It is not possible to confirm this statement for the time being.

The Islamic State controlled about one third of Syrias territory in 2014. In recent years, it has been hit by two routes of armed forces supported by Syrian government forces and the multinational alliance, and its territory has been completely lost. The action of the multinational coalition was not authorized by the Syrian Government. (Wu Baoshu) (Special Release of Xinhua News Agency)

Source: Xinhua responsible editor: Zhang Fan_NBJS7849