Xinhua News Agency, Paris, Feb. 20 (Xinhua) - According to the latest statistics released by the French public health department, 26 infants in France had been infected with Salmonella by eating rice flour for infants. Relevant products have been removed and recalled.
The Pasteur Institute of France has confirmed that 12 of these Salmonella-infected infants and young children belong to the same genome group. It is also analyzing 14 other infants and young children to determine whether they belong to the same genome group.
The 26 infants, including 18 boys and 8 girls, ranged in age from 2 months to 2 years at onset of symptoms. Between the end of August 2018 and January 27, 2019, these infants had diarrhea and 12 had been hospitalized for treatment. At present, all infants and young children have improved or recovered.
After investigation, it has been confirmed that the infants had eaten rice flour produced by the French Maudiak Group in Spain before infection. French public health authorities believe that the food is the source of Salmonella infection in infants and young children.
On Jan. 24 this year, the company announced the emergency removal of related products and recalled the sold products, listing 18 products to be recalled on its official website. On January 25, Lactaris Group of France issued a circular announcing the preventive recall of infant formula milk powder produced in Spain because it was produced in the same place as Maudiak Group.
The French health authorities require consumers to immediately stop using the products listed on the list and follow the advice of pediatricians and other professionals to choose appropriate alternatives. The French Association of Pediatric Experts recommends that if there is no suitable alternative for the time being, parents can wash and dissolve the purchased rice flour in water and boil it for about 2 minutes, and then give it to infants when the temperature is appropriate to prevent Salmonella infection.
Salmonella is a common source of food contamination. It is often transmitted to humans through contaminated food and can cause acute gastroenteritis. The clinical manifestations of the infected patients include fever, diarrhea and vomiting.
Source: Responsible Editor of Xinhua: Liu Yuxin_NBJS7825