According to the Cambodian-Chinese Times on January 23, Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen paid an official visit to China from 20 to 23 and held talks with Premier Li Keqiang of the State Council. After the meeting, the two sides issued a joint communique. According to the communique, Cambodia reiterates its adherence to the one-China principle and resolutely opposes any form of Taiwan independence.
According to the communique, Cambodia reiterates its firm adherence to the one-China policy and supports the efforts of the Chinese Government to safeguard national sovereignty and territorial integrity.
The communique stressed that Cambodia only recognizes that the Government of the Peoples Republic of China is the only legitimate government representing the whole of China, and that Taiwan is an integral part of Chinas territory. Cambodia opposes any form of Taiwan independence and continues to support the peaceful development of cross-strait relations and Chinas great cause of peaceful reunification.
During his visit to China, Hun Sen reiterated on many occasions that Cambodia has always opposed Taiwans declaration of independence in various forms and continued to support the peaceful development of China and Taiwan in the spirit of national unity.
Hun Sen has repeatedly stressed that Taiwan is a province of China, and Cambodia refuses to establish a representative office for Taiwan in Cambodia.
The following is the full text of the Bulletin:
Joint Press Bulletin between the Government of the Peoples Republic of China and the Royal Government of Cambodia
1. At the invitation of Premier Li Keqiang of the State Council of the Peoples Republic of China, Prime Minister Hun Sen of the Kingdom of Cambodia paid an official visit to China from 20 to 23 January 2019. During the visit, Chinese President Xi Jinping met with Prime Minister Hun Sen. Premier Li Keqiang of the State Council held talks with Prime Minister Hun Sen. Chairman Li Zhanshu of the Standing Committee of the National Peoples Congress and Chairman Wang Yang of the CPPCC met with Prime Minister Hun Sen respectively.
2. Cambodia highly appraises the great achievements of Chinas reform and opening-up, and sincerely wishes China, under the leadership of the CPC Central Committee with General Secretary Xi Jinping as its core, to make continuous progress towards the goal of two hundred years. It is believed that the Chinese people will build China into a strong, prosperous, democratic, civilized, harmonious and beautiful socialist modernization power.
China reiterates its respect for Cambodias independence, sovereignty and territorial integrity and supports Cambodias independent policy and development path chosen in accordance with its national interests. China sincerely wishes Cambodia, under the patronage of King Sihamoni and under the leadership of the new Royal Government headed by Prime Minister Hun Sen, continuous and greater achievements in national construction.
3. Both sides agreed that the traditional friendship between China and Cambodia has a long history and is a valuable asset for the two peoples. Over the past year, the two sides have taken the opportunity of establishing diplomatic relations 60th anniversary as an opportunity to further enhance traditional friendship and deepen one belt and one way cooperation, bringing tangible benefits to the two peoples and making positive contributions to peace and prosperity in the region and even the world. In the new historical period, the two sides should further strengthen comprehensive strategic cooperation, formulate action plans for the construction of a strategic community of destiny between China and Cambodia, focus on strengthening cooperation in the four areas of politics, economy, security and humanities, and promote greater development of bilateral relations in the next 60 years.
Fourth, the two sides agreed to continue to maintain close high-level exchanges and conduct strategic communication on major issues in a timely manner. We will strengthen exchanges between the government, parliament, political parties, mass organizations and local governments, and deepen exchanges of experience in governing the country. We should give full play to the role of the Intergovernmental Coordination Committee between China and Cambodia, coordinate and promote pragmatic cooperation in all fields.
5. The two sides agreed to continue to strengthen exchanges and cooperation in the fields of diplomacy, national defense and law enforcement security. We will implement the agreement between the two foreign ministries on strengthening cooperation under the new situation. We will strengthen practical cooperation in military training, College education, medical and health services and other fields. We will deepen cooperation in combating transnational crime, illegal online gambling, trafficking in human beings, telecommunications fraud, terrorism, drug control, law enforcement capacity-building and case co-investigation. The two sides agreed to designate 2019 as the year of law enforcement cooperation between China and Cambodia.
Six, the two sides agreed to speed up the docking of the one belt road initiative and the four corner strategy and implement the cooperation plan of the two governments on jointly promoting the Silk Road Economic Belt and the twenty-first Century Maritime Silk Road construction. China will continue to provide Cambodia with the help it can to develop its economy, sustain its development and improve peoples livelihood.
Seven, the two sides agreed to focus on the five major sections of transport, capacity, energy, trade and peoples livelihood, and strengthen practical cooperation under the one belt and one road framework at the next stage. The two sides are willing to strengthen cooperation in trade, investment, infrastructure and other fields in an all-round way to enhance the scale and level of economic and trade cooperation between the two countries. We will strengthen cooperation on such platforms as China International Import Exposition and China-ASEAN Exposition, accelerate negotiations on protocols for the export of fruits and other agricultural products to China, and make good use of cooperation mechanisms in e-commerce and other fields to achieve bilateral trade volume of 10 billion US dollars by 2023. The two sides agreed to give full play to the due role of China-ASEAN FTA in promoting bilateral trade, and are willing to explore the feasibility of launching China-Cambodia FTA in due time. The two sides expressed their satisfaction with the outcome of the third meeting of the Coordinating Committee of the Special Economic Zone of Sihanouk Port held on 10 January 2009. China is willing to continue to support strong and reputable enterprises to invest in Cambodia and carry out cooperation in infrastructure. It is willing to work with Cambodia to promote the smooth implementation of key infrastructure projects in the areas of Sihanouk Port Special Economic Zone, Phnom Penh-Sihanouk Port Expressway and Angkor International Airport. Cambodia thanks for this. The two sides will continue to support enterprises in running agricultural and manufacturing parks, strengthen cooperation in power supply and power grid construction between the two countries, promote clean energy development and utilization, and start construction of livelihood projects such as rural water supply phase II, rural road phase II, and improvement of educational environment and facilities as soon as possible. Both sides agreed to create good conditions and atmosphere for the above-mentioned cooperation between the two countries.
8. Both sides agreed to deepen all-round cooperation in agriculture, forestry, fisheries, science and technology, environmental protection, digital infrastructure and urbanization. The second meeting of the Steering Committee for Agricultural Cooperation will be held in time to jointly draw up Cambodias modern agricultural development plan and strengthen technical cooperation in rice breeding science and technology as well as in deep processing of agricultural products. Launch and implement the project of Cambodia Precious Tree Breeding Center. We will strengthen exchanges between young scientists, the construction of research platforms and the transfer of technology between the two countries. We will jointly promote the establishment of the Sino-Cambodian Environmental Cooperation Center.
Ninth, the two sides agreed to designate 2019 as the Year of Cultural Tourism between China and Cambodia, and take this opportunity to further expand non-governmental exchanges and enhance understanding and friendship between the two peoples, especially the younger generation. We will support the cultural tourism and trade promotion agencies of the two countries, as well as the counterpart friendship associations, think tanks, media and non-governmental organizations to strengthen exchanges. We will implement Chinese government scholarships, training of young technical personnel and free medical treatment. We will continue to protect and restore Angkor monuments, Preah Vihear temples and other cultural heritage.
10. Cambodia reiterates its firm adherence to the one-China policy, recognizes that the Government of the Peoples Republic of China is the only legitimate government representing the whole of China, that Taiwan is an integral part of Chinas territory, opposes any form of Taiwan independence, and continues to support the peaceful development of cross-strait relations and Chinas great cause of peaceful reunification. China highly appreciates this.
11. The two sides are pleased that the situation in the South China Sea remains stable and continues to develop well. They call on all parties concerned to continue to implement the Declaration on the Conduct of Parties in the South China Sea in an all-round and effective manner, deepen practical cooperation at sea and promote consultations on the Code of Conduct for the South China Sea. Cambodia appreciates and supports Chinas vision of completing the Guidelines consultation in three years. It is willing to work with all parties to maintain the positive momentum of the Guidelines consultation and strive for an early conclusion of the Guidelines on the basis of consensus so as to build the South China Sea into a sea of peace, friendship and cooperation.
12. The two sides agreed to continue to strengthen coordination and cooperation within the multilateral framework of Lancang-Mekong cooperation, China-ASEAN cooperation, East Asian cooperation, Asia-Europe Summit and the United Nations. We should jointly uphold multilateralism and safeguard the multilateral trading system with the World Trade Organization as its core. We will promote the establishment of international relations that respect each other, are fair, just and win-win cooperation, and build a community of human destiny.
During the visit, the two sides signed cooperation documents covering peoples livelihood, transportation, infrastructure and other fields.
14. Both sides expressed their satisfaction with the achievements of Prime Minister Hun Sens visit to China and agreed that this visit has injected new impetus into the development of the comprehensive strategic partnership between the two countries. Prime Minister Hun Sen thanked China for its warm and friendly reception during his visit to China.